By Rainer Flindt, N. Solomon
"This ebook becomes ragged with use....A labour of affection and directory. outstanding Numbers is healthier than googling, since it has a smart index and also you shouldn't have to go through an entire load of irrelevance to get what you will want. it is also logically divided into such sections as 'Size', 'Blood' and 'Germination', and, simply in the event you ever are looking to cost, all of the evidence are referenced. A caution although -- this addictive e-book will preserve you soaking up peculiar little proof: dimensions of a bread mould's mitochondria anyone?"
-- BBC Wildlife
With hundreds of thousands of tables and over 10,000 entries a person who works or reviews within the lifestyles sciences or people with a curious brain will locate precise solutions to many questions requiring comparative facts. This booklet is a truly laid out presentation of the apparent evidence of lifestyles from all components of biology. Biology comes alive in the course of the proof present in this entire reference work.
Warning: anyone who begins to flick through this booklet won't simply cease reading!
From the experiences of the former versions:
"A needs to, not just for everybody drawn to biology but additionally for all mom and dad .. `Hey mother, how lengthy does an XX live?´, or as supplementary fabric for normal schooling .." Biotec
"For a long time the publication .. belongs to the essential instruments of collage lecturers and teachers within the biosciences. but in addition biology lecturers will locate stimulating principles for his or her classes .." Annals of Anatomy
"Facts and figures that not just tell but in addition entertain .." Focus
Read or Download Amazing Numbers in Biology PDF
Best botany books
An exceptional bottle of wine could be the spark that evokes a brainstorming consultation. Such was once the case for Ian Tattersall and Rob DeSalle, scientists who often collaborate on publication and museum exhibition tasks. while the dialog grew to become to wine one night, it nearly necessarily led the two—one a palaeoanthropologist, the opposite a molecular biologist—to start exploring the various intersections among technological know-how and wine.
Encouraged through physicist and environmental chief Dr. Vandana Shiva, this number of essays draw at the knowledge of historical and glossy traditions to remind readers of the profound sacredness of the seed—how in its purity, it's the resource and renewal of all of existence. for hundreds of years the planting of the seed within the earth not just nourished humanity, but additionally symbolized the secret of lifestyles and the adventure of the soul.
Anoxygenic Photosynthetic micro organism is a complete quantity describing all elements of non-oxygen-evolving photosynthetic micro organism. The sixty two chapters are geared up into topics of: Taxonomy, body structure and ecology; Molecular constitution of pigments and cofactors; Membrane and mobilephone wall constitution: Antenna constitution and serve as; response middle constitution and electron/proton pathways; Cyclic electron move; Metabolic approaches; Genetics; law of gene expression, and functions.
- Trichoderma: biology and applications
- An Introduction to Timber Engineering
- Bryophyte Biology
- Plant Cell Biotechnology
- Milestones in systematics
Extra info for Amazing Numbers in Biology
Data after Haltenorth 1958, Smolik 1968 Species Wolf Dingo Affenpinscher Airedale terrier Appenzeller mountain dog Barzoi Bloodhound Boxer Chihuahua Cocker spaniel Collie Dachshund Dalmatian Fox terrier German shepherd Giant schnauzer (Riesenschnauzer) Great Dane Greyhound Italian Greyhound Miniature poodle Newfoundland Pointer Pomeranian Poodle Pug Rottweiler St. 14: Size of Horns and Teeth The figures represent maximum values from individual hunting trophies. Winding horns and teeth measured along their external curvature.
9. Listed in descending order according to surface area. As a point of comparison: gliders have a surface load of 25 N/m2. 10: Maximum Speeds of Selected Animals All figures are in kilometers per hour. Some of the speeds given are only achieved for short stretches. The great differences in the data given in the literature on bird flying speeds are based on the fact that no mention is made whether the cited speeds were achieved with or without tailwinds. Data after Bauer et al. 1974, Bertelsmann 1979, Franz 1959, Grzimek 1970, Hanke et al.
7. 9. Listed in descending order according to surface area. As a point of comparison: gliders have a surface load of 25 N/m2. 10: Maximum Speeds of Selected Animals All figures are in kilometers per hour. Some of the speeds given are only achieved for short stretches. The great differences in the data given in the literature on bird flying speeds are based on the fact that no mention is made whether the cited speeds were achieved with or without tailwinds. Data after Bauer et al. 1974, Bertelsmann 1979, Franz 1959, Grzimek 1970, Hanke et al.
Amazing Numbers in Biology by Rainer Flindt, N. Solomon